The Philadelphia 76ers are adding another big name to their starting lineup.
Tobias Harris is heading to Philadelphia as part of a six-player trade with the Los Angeles Clippers, according to two people with knowledge of the deal. The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because the trade has not be announced.
The 76ers will also receive forward Mike Scott and center Boban Marjanovic in the deal, while shipping guard Landry Shamet, forwards Wilson Chandler and Mike Muscala, two first-round draft picks and two second-round picks to Los Angeles.
The details of the trade were first reported by ESPN, which added that Philadelphia plans to try to re-sign both Harris and Jimmy Butler in the offseason to build a long-term core alongside young stars Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons.
Harris, 26, was leading the Clippers in both scoring and rebounding, averaging 20.9 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. The Tennessee product will be playing for his fifth team in eight seasons.
Marjanovic and Scott are averaging 6.7 and 4.8 points per game, respectively.
The Clippers, meanwhile, will receive a mixture of veteran players and future assets. Shamet, a rookie, is averaging 8.3 points per game in a reserve role, while Muscala and Chandler have posted averages 7.4 and 6.7 points per game, respectively. The deal also included Philadelphia’s protected 2020 first-round pick, and the Heat’s unprotected first-round pick in 2021,
Speaking to reporters while on a historic tour of the Middle East on Tuesday, the pontiff admitted that the Church had an issue, the roots of which lie in “seeing women as second class”.
He said that priests and bishops had abused nuns, but said the Church was aware of the “scandal” and was “working on it”, adding that a number of clerics had been suspended.
“It’s a path that we’ve been on,” he said.
“Pope Benedict had the courage to dissolve a female congregation which was at a certain level, because this slavery of women had entered it – slavery, even to the point of sexual slavery – on the part of clerics or the founder.”
Pope Francis said sexual abuse of nuns was an ongoing problem, but happened largely in “certain congregations, predominantly new ones”.
“I think it’s still taking place because it’s not as though the moment you become aware of something it goes away.”
Where is the abuse said to have taken place?
The female congregation dissolved in 2005 under Pope Benedict was the Community of St Jean, which was based in France, Alessandro Gisotti of the Vatican press office told CBS News.
In 2013, the Community of St Jean admitted that priests had behaved “in ways that went against chastity” with several women in the order, according to the French Roman Catholic newspaper La Croix.
Ben Carson has proven to be one of the most deplorable secretaries of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in our country’s history. However, in the Trump administration, the worse job you do, the more you are rewarded. Therefore, Carson will now be in charge of the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA), CBS News reported.
God help those residents.
Carson met with New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio Thursday.
“The families who have endured unimaginably poor housing conditions deserve better from their housing authority,” Carson said. “Today we are presenting NYCHA residents with bold new solutions for decades-old problems.”
De Blasio responded positively to the news.
“What we have done here today creates a strong path forward, a tangible path forward,” the mayor said. “It will change and improve the lives of public housing residents. We wanted to make sure there would be results.”
CBS News reported: “As part of the agreement, New York City will commit at least $2.2 billion in funding over the next 10 years to address the housing authority issues. HUD will continue to provide funding to NYCHA, estimated to be $1.5 billion this year.”
A federal monitor will be hired as part of the deal.
“Now they want a monitor? NYCHA already has monitors — its residents who have suffered from decades of disinvestment,” New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer said. “They’re the parents who sought help when their child got lead poisoning. The grandmother who has to huddle near a stove when it’s colder inside her apartment than outside. And the family dealing with health issues because of rampant mold in their home.”
He continued, “The time for talk and political stunts is over. Cut the long overdue check from the federal government to fully fund the needed repairs, listen to the real NYCHA monitors, put a plan in place, and get to work.”
Back in December, the New York Daily News reported almost the entire city congressional delegation were fighting “against placing the city’s troubled Housing Authority into federal receivership.”
Rep. Nydia Velazquez, D-Brooklyn, wrote in a letter, “Although there’s no easy answer here, the one thing that should be a nonstarter is a Trump takeover of NYCHA, which could lead to the selling of assets and tenant displacement without any local input.”
She continued, “Certainly, additional resources are needed from all levels of government — including federal, state and local — as is a comprehensive review of NYCHA operations and personnel. But, we can’t enable a situation that results in the Trump administration essentially holding a fire sale of NYCHA assets.”
Carson has been feuding with NYCHA since he was appointed secretary. The former doctor has been upset with funding going to NYCHA.
“We don’t want to do it that way, but they forced us into doing it that way until they become more responsible,” he told the Wall Street Journal in April.
In case you forgot, here are just some of Carson failures: He was accused of demoting an employee for not approving extravagant office renovations, including a $31,000 dining room set. There are accusations his family was too involved at HUD, emails proving he has lied and even reports of Carson using taxpayer money for private planes. In addition, there were Obama-era policies that would help people out of poverty, which he ended.
Prayers up for the people living in New York City Housing Authority.
The Waller County Jail was supposed to implement reforms after Bland’s death.
An African-American inmate was recently found dead after apparently hanging himself in the same Texas jail where Sandra Bland also died in 2015, the Houston Chronicle reported. Authorities at the Waller County jail said on Wednesday that Evan Lyndell Parker, 34, attempted suicide on Jan. 25 and died two days later in a hospital.
Parker was accused of killing a 64-year-old co-worker on Jan. 9, according to the Waller County Sheriff’s Office. He was booked into the jail the next day on charges of murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The Waller County District Attorney stated that it was unclear what led to Parker to attempt to kill himself.
“All outside agency investigations that include the Texas Rangers and Texas Commission on Jail Standards are pending along with autopsy results,” Sheriff R. Glenn Smith said in a statement posted on Facebook.
Bland’s death prompted police reforms that could have prevented Parker’s death. For one thing, face-to-face cell inspections were supposed to occur more frequently after she died. The Chronicle noted that Parker died a month after inspectors found that the jailers failed to meet standards for observing prisoners.
Bland was found hanging in her cell on July 13, 2015, three days after being arrested during a traffic stop. Although her death was ruled a suicide, her family members and activists disputed the cause of death and said racial violence was involved. Her family settled a wrongful death lawsuit for $1.9 million with Waller County officials and the state trooper who arrested Bland near Prairie View A & M University.
It was unclear if foul play was somehow involved in Parker’s death.
“All I can say is, it’s extremely unfortunate when it happens,” Waller County Judge Trey Duhon said. “Even with the best of precautions, it is always possible that somebody intent on taking their life could be successful. All we can do is make sure we meet guidelines and do the routine checks. At this point, it looks like that was done.”
Duhon also rejected criticism from inmate advocates who raised questions about standards at the jail.
“They’re certainly entitled to their opinions, but anybody who wants to come down to our jail and see all the changes and processes we’ve made since 2015 is welcome to do that,” Duhon added.
,There were plenty of jobs created in January, just none for African-Americans, apparently.
The unemployment rate for Black people in America has been quietly creeping back up to its sky-high levels from last year just months after the president bragged they were at their lowest. Meanwhile, the number of payroll jobs increased by nearly double the rate it was projected to, according to employment numbers for January released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) on Friday, which was also the start to Black History Month.
Those two figures that were trending in opposite directions resulted in the overall unemployment rate to also rise to 4 percent in part because of the “impact of the partial federal government shutdown,” BLS wrote in its report.
While the shutdown ended last week after more than a month, its effects were expected to linger, especially among African-Americans, who make up more than 18 percent of government employees, according to the Guardian. For a full perspective, Black people only make up 12 percent of the American population.
The combination of all of the above resulted in a 6.8 percent Black unemployment rate for January, the highest since it was 7.7 percent in January 2018. It was just a 6 percent in November, underscoring what could become a worsening trend for African-Americans looking for work.
However, if there was a silver lining, it was the lingering reminder of former President Barack Obama’s amazing handiwork in reviving the American economy following the great recession of 2008. Because of it and in spite of President Donald Trump’s best efforts to undermine that work, there were more than 300,000 jobs added to payrolls last month.
A fact check found that “the black unemployment rate has been in a years-long downward trend that continued under Trump” … albeit at a slower pace than in recent years.” Now, it looks as if that trend has now reversed itself as it pertains to Black people out of a job.
Still, if there is another shutdown in two weeks, as the president has threatened to help make happen, February’s unemployment rates for the U.S. as a whole and Black workers, in particular, are almost assured to keep on rising. That would be a bad sign for a president who campaigned in part on job creation and has already begun his re-election efforts.
Meanwhile, the unemployment rate for white men and white women stood at 3.5 percent and 3.2 percent, respectively. The unemployment rate for Asians fell to 3.1 percent.